A mother and son collaboration project, Otto saw the light of day just minutes ago. He is the result of R wanting to have a go on the sewing machine after seeing me whip up a quick cushion cover this morning.
R chose the fabrics from the remnant bin, drew the body/head shape and stitched the big scary teeth on it, cut the felt hair strips, sewed all the straight lines (the arms and legs) and turned them right sides out. He also helped stuff them with rice. Then I got the somewhat tricky task of assembling the whole thing. After a lot of fiddling I did manage to squeeze all the arms and legs into the main body and secure with pins so that I could stitch him together and turn him right side out before stuffing.
R found it hilarious that we stuffed rice "through his bottom" with a funnel. I admit to sniggering a bit too. But, I assure you, no monsters were harmed during this very necessary process! As a finishing touch, R picked the buttons and I stitched them on.
R then named our creation Otto – obviously inspired by this book we're reading about a monster named Otto. A fantastic book, by the way. Full of snot, goo, farts, poop, slime and all sorts of horrid and fabulous things. Not sure if it's available in English, but if you can read Norwegian, I totally recommend it. It is a foolproof way to make a six-year-old laugh and think you're the coolest parent ever.